Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips

Friday, November 15, 2013

Marigat Citizen Voices takes off

By Joyce Okuta and Bob Aston
Free Citizen Journalism training has just been concluded at Marigat Maarifa Centre under the sponsorship of Arid Lands Information Network (ALIN). The exercise that begun on 11th November 2013 intensely drew over sixteen aspiring journalists from Baringo County.
Marigat Citizen Voices Reporters
The major motive behind ALIN’s approach in this kind of initiative was to create a responsible localized means of civic expression and social action amongst the communities, through the voices of their own reporters.
The five days course majored on basic Journalism skills like news writing, creative writing, Feature writing, Photography, online Journalism and interviewing skills.


The training will enable the reporters to be able to look at news from different angles and in addition give them a deeper understanding of what is going on in the outside world.


MCV Reporters during the training session
“I aspire to become a journalist. I am planning to start a newsletter featuring spiritual nourishment. Initially I lacked skills on writing. ALIN has come to my rescue at the right time,” said Elijah Ruto, Chairman of Marigat Urban Pastors Association.
Marigat Citizen Voices will be an advocacy and lobby blog that allows members of Marigat and the larger Baringo County to voice the concerns that would otherwise be ignored by mainstream media. It will attempt to boost development and livelihoods of the residents by highlighting issues affecting the community.
“I will be able to write more professionally now. We currently have a facebook page called Baringo County News where we cover events in Baringo. This training has given me more insight into issues dealing with Journalism,” said Obeta Sirma, one of the Citizen Journalists Reporters.
“I will now be able to create a blog for Baringo County News,” he added.
For ALIN to successfully meet this approach, Marigat Maarifa Centre Field Officer had to advertise through posters, facebook and twitter.
Team building exercise
“The training has given me basic Journalism skills which I will apply from January when I join University to study Journalism. I will ensure that I write a lot of articles to improve on my writing skills,” said Herodius Jepkonga.
ALIN has already formed a blog dubbed ‘Marigat Citizen Voices’ which gives the local communities a platform where they can share their own stories. It will also give them an opportunity to be part of a global community of men and women who are passionate about development news.
“I will use the skills that I have gained to train my fellow volunteers at Kenya Red Cross. I will ensure that I also contribute articles in our soon to be formed Kenya Red Cross, Marigat sub branch newsletters as well as Marigat Citizen Voices,” said Irene Yemit.

No comments:

Post a Comment